Take a Stance on the Topic and Supports it with Specific Evidence
My view on the topic is that I believe that the parents who implanted their child with the cochlear implant made the right choice. Of course my bias is obvious in this situation. I am not deaf and I have never known anyone who is. Until I watched this movie, I had no idea that there was such a thing as "deaf culture" or that deaf people associated with it. Even though I understand that people of the deaf culture would be offended that someone would want to take a child out of their culture, a cochlear implant gives a child the opportunity to choose their lifestyle. Those are the key points: a.) choosing and b.) opportunity. Any parent would agree that they want to give their child every opportunity that they can have to succeed. In our society being deaf would be at your disadvantage. The father of Heather, Peter, said himself that because he was deaf, he didn't have much of a chance at progressing up the corporate ladder. Maybe deaf culture is beautiful and provides joy in the lives of the deaf, but being deaf puts a person at a disadvantage in society as a whole.Furthermore, giving a child a cochlear implant at a young age gives the child the opportunity to choose their own lifestyle. They will grow up learning how to speak, but the implant does not make your hearing permanently fixed. If the child chooses that he or she wants to be a part of the deaf culture, they could turn their implant off and never use it. Giving the implant is giving the child choices. Leaving the child without an implant doesn't give it any choices at all and leaves it at a disadvantage in our world and could expose it to much strife.
Hi Conley.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with the points you made in your post, and with your stance on cochlear implants. Leaving a child without the implant puts them at a major disadvantage in today's world, and I as a parent would want my child to have every opportunity that could be available to them.
Good post!
Ey yo Conlizzle, Imma shoot my response back atcha, and this is how I spit my rhyme:
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you're saying. Even though you believe that children should have the right to get a cochlear implant, some deaf people may not believe it to be so. They discussed this in the video where the angry man was talking about the 'deaf culture' and how these types of implants would destroy said group. Perhaps there is more than we know.
You bet, Conley Potter. I am with you in that I never thought about "deaf culture" in the way that it was described in the film; it was such a big part of their lives. In fact, it was their lives. However, it makes me frustrated as well that Heather's parents weren't seeming to look out for the best for Heather, especially knowing that their deafness allowed them not to get as far (like Peter with his job). I agree with you that it would be best for the children to be able to choose their own identity. It would leave them with more opportunities and more choices in their lives. BUENO!
ReplyDeleteI never thought of the fact that they could just turn the cochlear implant off and be deaf once again. Sometimes I wish that I could just tune everything out, or just turn off my hearing. It would be cool to be able to do that, but honestly I am very thankful to hear than to be able to do that. You provide a very thought provoking argument, that is hard to disagree with. Well done!
ReplyDeleteConley,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog mostly because you brought up some interesting points (but also because you are a cool person). I really liked that point that you said this implant gives them the chance to chose their own lifestyle. You are completly correct. They have the power to turn it off if they want to be part of the deaf culture again. But it also doesn't limit them from learning sign language. There is no rule that says if you have the implant you have to speak and not sign. Very good points! See you tomorrow :)