This article came to me at a time that makes it quite ironic. In the middle of summer, I had lots of work to do: write a mountain of college essays, do all my AP comp work, and constantly check my twitter, facebook, and news sights. Okay, maybe the third things wasn't "essential," but it was a very large portion of my life at the time. It did, however, make the first two things on my list very difficult to accomplish. So, I printed my AP comp essays and wrote down my college essay prompts and headed to the library! I left my phone at home and booked a study room. After crying in the fetal position and twitching for a while in the corner trying to overcome internet withdrawal for a few minutes (I'm only kind of kidding), I began to start and read this article: Is Google Making Us Stupid. Hm, this seems quite interesting. Oh look, it pinpoints exactly the reason why I had to lock myself in the quietest room available in the library just to do work. So, as you can imagine, this article hit home for me quite strongly.
I can totally relate with the author of this article. I find that the cumbersome task of reading long pieces of articles has become quite the arduous process for me. And it makes sense as to why. Today's day and age is all about instant information. One of my favorite outlets of expression literally will not allow you to post more than 140 characters at a time. The article itself on how Google makes us stupid is probably 100 tweets worth or more. I had never thought, however, that it could in fact be the internet that was making me change. It all seemed to make sense though.
I recently watched an interesting video that explained that human beings could be going through a major evolutionary process. There are certain times in a species existence that they evolve much faster than other times. It has been theorized that humans, because of the onset of the internet and computer, are making new neuron connections in the brain to allow for faster comprehension and analyzing. Our brain is beginning to operate more like the machines that we invented: computers. This does have its downsides, however, as the author portrays with descriptions of inabilities to focus.
I do like how the author goes back to times when other hugely revolutionary things were invented. It's amazing to think what the world would be like if the naysayers had succeeded when writing things down was controversial. In a few decades people will think that we were foolish to ever doubt the power of computing. It does, however, present an ominous theory that the human mind can benefit or be hurt by new technologies and ways of thinking. Time can only tell how it will all play out.
No comments:
Post a Comment